3.23.2011

Glimpses of Insanity

Glimpse # 1


Time: 7:33 am


Location: Room 110


Temperature: approx 84 degrees


Scene: Dark hallway-- overhead fluorescent lights out due to electrical problem (also explaining the 84 degree temperature in the room). Disco classroom-- 9 of 12 overhead fluorescent bulbs are out, the remaining 3 are flickering madly off and on. I stand in the doorway caught between these two strange worlds.


One student cries, "Ms. S, I can't go in there! It's like Paranormal Activity!!!!"


Down the hall, two boys do the robot in the flickering square of light casting from the math classroom.


Glimpse # 2


Time: 7:14 am


Location: Room 110


Temperature: approx 85 degrees


Background noise: really terrible rap song that is our "school song"-- imagine an amateurly-recorded song in which the only intelligible words are "Kingsbury... 7th grade, 8th grade... yeahhhh".... played on repeat loop for FIFTEEN MINUTES


Announcement: "There will be 35 future TFA members in the building today, please come up with (on the spot) something for them to do with a few of your students during class. Oh, also there will be some future principals and business leaders visiting, as well as a district walkthrough. Please plan accordingly."


Side note: School begins in 1 minute. Also I think I have MRSA on my arm (Mom don't freak out, I am only slightly serious).



No comments:

Post a Comment