10.12.2010

My life is ridiculous

Let me share with you a story. A story that illustrates the occasional absurdity of my life.


This morning, the copy machine at school was broken (not an unusual occurrence). We had a homework assignment we needed to copy, and finally my mentor and I reached the conclusion that we needed to obtain copies elsewhere. So, I was sent to Kinko's, with my mentor's wallet and a copy of the homework.

Or so I thought. I drive the few miles to the copy shop, savoring the morning sun that I rarely get to see. However, I arrive at Kinko's, the friendly desk worker asks how he can help me, and I respond that I need copies of..... where is the homework?!?!? Where is it?! I can't find it anywhere. Call my mentor. It's sitting on my desk. At school. Twelve minutes away. Shoot.

I begin the annoying ritual of driving back to school, when I have a stroke of genius. I am very close to Binghamton, so if Cassie (my mentor) would just email me the document, I can go print it off at a friend's house instead of driving all the way back to school. I call her, and she does so.


So I show up at the D family's house, waltz in (without even letting anyone know I was there... the door was unlocked and there were some workmen in the front yard), print off my homework sheet, and I'm ready to return to the copy shop. I bound down the steps of the front porch, striding down the driveway to my car. I notice a very familiar looking vehicle slowly rolling down the street, as if they are looking at the D's house.


I pause, curious to see who it is. Then the realization washes over me like a very cold tsunami.... I think to myself, "REALLY?? I go on this absurd journey (during school hours, mind you), and here I am leaving the home of a good friend, and THAT'S who just HAPPENS to drive by at the exact moment I walk down the driveway???"

Yes, that's right... the one and only David Montague. You know, just the director of my TEACHING PROGRAM who pays me to WORK IN A SCHOOL.

Good grief. My life absurd. At least he waved.

No comments:

Post a Comment