Official classes start on Monday. In June we will be taking Cultural Foundations and 21st Century Classroom Leadership. Thrilling, yes, I know. We also have a yearlong Spiritual Life class in which we are currently studying the Old Testament.
The staff is amazing. My cohort have great hearts and are fun to be around. Our apartment is surprisingly nice. My roommate is basically my twin.
Activities thus far: hoe-down/line dancing/cow lassoing; Civil Rights Museum; lunch with a billionaire; trivia night; orientation with Union University who runs our academic program; and lots of other group bonding activities. We are headed to a baseball game tonight and have plans for "Lawnaroo" on Saturday (in lieu of the Bonaroo music festival) in the courtyard of our complex. Next week will bring a meeting with the mayor and a tour of St. Jude. It's been really exciting to have such great Memphis connections. We can thank our fearless leader, David, for most of those, I think.
The best part is how gospel-centered everything is. I know that this will be a year of incredible growth for all of us, and I feel lucky to be around such a servant-hearted group of people and share a common mission with them.
Oh, and I got my teaching assignment for the fall-- I will be teaching 7th grade science... at a middle school with split gender classes, so I have ALL BOYS!
No comments:
Post a Comment