2.09.2011

Influence can be scary...

That's right folks, 2 blog posts in 2 days... snow days will do that for you!!

So, sometimes it makes me a little nervous how much my students will believe ANYTHING I say (as evidenced by the fact that they all think I am at least 37 years old). Today was a perfect example.

They let the teachers know around 9:00 that school would let out at 11:00 due to the coming snow, but our principal asked that we not tell the students yet so things would be more calm hopefully.

As a team, we decided to have all the kids go to 7th & 8th period, since we didn't get to see those kids on Monday either due to the snow.

Then, we had to feed all 1300 kids in the middle school and high school before 11. So we took the kids to buy their lunch, then brought them back to the classroom to eat.

Throughout all of this, when they asked why we were having such a weird day, we just told them that "we're trying to catch up from the snow day Monday."

They totally accepted this, no questions asked, even as we ate lunch in the classroom and sent kids every which way trying to make sure everyone got to their 7th & 8th period at an abnormal time.

I pretty much straight up lied to several kids (which I feel bad about) when they asked what the rest of the day would be like... because we weren't supposed to tell them about early dismissal, so I just told them they would see every teacher in the day, the schedule was just happening backwards.

Once we finally told them we were dismissing early (10 minutes til 11:00), not a single student ever put two and two together and asked if that's why we had a compressed schedule. They just cheered and went happily home.

I love middle school innocence, the rare times it is visible. They're just kids, and they're great.

No comments:

Post a Comment